Saturday, April 11, 2009

...dragonfly spirit...

The dragonfly's shell is designed with special facets that reflect and refract their beautiful colors in the light of the sun. This almost sparkling appearance has leant added meaning to the dragonfly's form. They've taken on a mystical and magical symbolism. The dragonfly's magic is its light magic, and all of the wonderful similes, metaphors and cliches that light has inspired. In Japan, the Japanese people have chosen to honor the dragonfly as a symbol of joy and new light. Thus, the dragonfly has come to be an image that inspires us to not only learn to practice the shedding and mirroring of light in our own lives, but to learn to see when others are doing it, too! Additionally, dragonflies certainly aren't limited to women! In Native American astrology, there is a strong belief that each person has a totem animal spirit which serves as their guardians and guides through certain phases of life. Often, an individual would have many different totems throughout life, some for just a time, and some for their entire lives. And one of these totem spirits was the spirit of the dragonfly. It would adopt men and women, young and old. The dragonfly spirit means you must consciously make an effort to express your hopes, dreams, needs and wishes. The dragonfly spirit is the essence of the winds of change, the messages of wisdom and enlightenment; and the communication from the elemental world. Its medicine beckons you to seek out the parts of your habits which need changing. You can turn to the dragonfly to guide you through the mists of illusion to the pathway of transformation.
may you find your dragonfly spirit.
just BE.
robin.
enjoy the going's on at Hey Harriet
shadow shot Sunday...

22 comments:

deb did it said...

oh how I have Dragonfly testimonials to share with you. it is my messenger of hope and reassurance. so many time Dragonfly has come to me for comfort.

A Wild Thing said...

What a beautiful message and shadow...my totem is the bear, strength, knowledge and intuition are challenges I embrace with this powerful presence...thank you for sharing such a wonderful message, you are blessed with a beautiful heart Robin.

sharon

The Mess said...

Somehow I feel affinity. From a worm you get to flying just for one day when you have to find that someone you can rely on to have your gene mixed.. and then you die.. must be even worse for the ones who didn't find someone..

Sylvia K said...

What a delightful shadow! And I love the message! Thank you so much for sharing it, Robin!

Unknown said...

Very NICE shadow :D

bobbie said...

Great shadow! Dragonflies are some of my favorites.

Rosebud Collection said...

What a wonderful shadow..In the summer, many dragonflies are around because they take care of the bugs..I got a picture of a beautiful big one..I kept talking to it and got many good shots..So happy when they arrive here.

Happy Easter and SSS..

Anonymous said...

Great shadow - love how the how most of the shadow fits against the log - great capture

Gemma Wiseman said...

Such a lovely shadow! And love your beautiful thoughts on the dragonfly!

I am not sure of my totem! I feel that if I have one, it is shared with my dear partner. The Australian kookaburra gives him such a sense of peace and happiness. So, by default, I feel a sense of peace and happiness.

EG CameraGirl said...

Pretty shadow! I can hardly wait for real dragonflies to be flying again. ;-)

That is the chicken said...

Nice shadow! Being from Canada I have the wolf as my totem but I like your thoughts on the dragonfly very much.

Hey Harriet said...

Wonderful shadow of the dragonfly. I enjoyed learning more about this little critter. A most fascinating and enlightening post!

Hey Harriet said...

Not sure if my comment worked...

I'll check in later to see :)

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Nice shadow shot! And thanks for taking to time to pass on all the info...it's all new to me:D Very interesting.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Neat shadow to catch (easier than a real dragonfly we imagine!)
It reminds us that warm weather will be here soon!

Anonymous said...

Dragonflies are so beautiful, I love all the detail in their wings. Great shot! How did you get that dragonfly to stay so still? just kidding hahaha! Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

oh, very cool shadow shot!

paz

Dianne said...

a lovely detailed shadow!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Lovely post! I've been drawn to dragonflies for a very long time and I appreciate your sharing of their significance. Ted Andrews books on animal wisdom are very helpful framing the presence of animals (as totems) in our lives. He confirmed that dragonflies are all about transformation. One summer during a drumming ceremony on the beach, an entire swarm of dragonflies came into our circle. They sank and rose with the beat of the drum. It was quite amazing...


The next day I was repeatedly approached by dragonflies and one peskily persistent one kept trying to get INTO my mouth. No kidding! He kept coming toward my face and pushing at my lips with his head. Ok, ok, I got the message! Transformation time!

robin. said...

Jan~what an amazing experience. i love dragonflies too...and did not know their significance until I went searching. now they are even more special to me. we have some property that we camp at every summer. it has a creek that runs through it and every summer we are met by the dragonflies...this summer will be even more special there!!!

xo
robin.

Catherine said...

the delicate shadow is a great shot indeed...

Laurie said...

Great Shadow shot!!!

I love your pics!!

Love the Easter post!!